Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ah ha moment revisited

In May of 2006, I wrote a bit entitled "Ah Ha Moment" about accepting that my values were above worrying about the extra 10-20 pounds I was carrying around with me. Well, I am still carrying the extra weight. This might be seen as a failure to some, but to me, I realize that I may have kept the weight, but I also finished a bachelor's degree, started on a new career path, engaged myself in my new work, started a Master's degree program, finished raising my sons - who are both independent strong men, and maintained a twenty-year happy marriage.

I can either focus on all the things I've done right - or I can beat myself up for still carrying around the 10 pounds.

What if it was reversed, what if I was still longing to have a degree, still longing to find a career or even a job I loved, still looking for work that was engaging, still believing that a Master's degree was not in my future, still worrying about my son's futures and my son's in general, or wishing I had a good marriage or was floundering looking for love and fulfillment outside my marriage - But I was 10 pounds lighter?

Not a good trade.

I'll take the blessings and keep the 10-20 pounds thank you.

On second thought, instead, I will also remind myself that if I can accomplish all the things I have accomplished through hard work determination and a belief in myself and my abilities, then I can certainly manage to exercise, eat right, and drink plenty of water. Which would enable me to get rid of the extra weight I carry.

Let this be my declaration, I am done. I refuse to carry any more weight, baggage, and abuse than is absolutely necessary. I am 5'4" tall and am small in stature. That means I should be about 135 pounds but I'd be satisfied at 145 pounds.

As long as I don't have to give up any of my other blessings...

No comments: