Friday, August 05, 2011

End of a Journey

I am waiting to hear back from the director of my degree program to find out if my project has been accepted and what if any editorial changes she would like me to make. I am so excited to see the end of this journey - in one week from today I will be listening to a commencement speech and waiting to walk across the stage to accept my diploma - yeah!!!

As if that isn't enough to look forward to I also will have the chance to share this paper with the wonderful authors I interviewed for the paper and get their responses and feedback. I think they are going to be very excited. I also get to start looking for journal to publish it! Yes, it is that good!

I normally don't like to write or speak about anyone or anything negatively - there is so much of that in the world I don't think it is necessary to add to it. However, I am so glad I didn't listen to the naysayers who said I shouldn't or couldn't go college because it was too expensive and if I had to go then I should go to a community college not a university to save money or it would take too much time, that was for both degrees. For my graduate degree they said I didn't need it - the earning potential with a master's degree is not much different than that of an undergraduate degree.

Looking back I now believe wholeheartedly that:
  1. I was worth the investment.
  2. If I was going to make the investment why not end up with a degree from a major university like DU! Besides I discovered it really wasn't much more than other programs. 
  3. The time was going to pass anyway - the only difference is now I get to look back with pride instead of regret. 
  4. It turned out I did need it - I needed to get it so I could write this research project. Besides it was never about the earning potential just like writing is never about the money.
I think it would be great if everyone could go believe that if they are really meant to do something they shouldn't let anyone stop them - even the loudest naysayers who will do their best to fill you with doubt and hold you back.

No comments: